About the Park
Originally opened in 1996, the West Blocton Coke Ovens Park is situated among the ruins of 467 ovens that were capable of producing 600 tons of coke daily. Construction on the ovens began in 1887 and the first coke was produced in 1888. The Blocton ovens complex was once one of the largest of its kind in the state.
Coke is one of the three ingredients needed to make iron in a blast furnace, the others being iron ore and limestone. Coal was top-loaded into the ovens, heated to 2,800 degrees to burn off impurities, leaving coke which is almost pure carbon.
Today the park features walking trails, picnic tables, a boardwalk and plenty of plants, trees and flowers. The natural beauty provides opportunities to exercise or relax while the historic beehive ovens provide an opportunity to learn about a key component in Alabama’s industrial history.